To have your tax return(s) prepared at a VITA site you need to bring the following information with you:
- Photo ID as proof of identification for you and your spouse
- Social Security number for you, your spouse and all claimed dependents. Acceptable forms of proof are:
- Social Security Card
- Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Social Security income statement (or any document issue from the Social Security Administration)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- If applicable, Form 1095-A “Health Insurance Marketplace Statement”
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.